Student Leadership Application
If you are a student leader, please complete the Student Leadership Application on this page below. If you are a practicing professional, please click here to complete the CMDA Leadership Commitment Form.
Before completing, please review the following information:
Spiritual Leader Criteria
- Clear Testimony of Faith in Christ (Ephesians 2:1-9)
- Character & Integrity (Galatians 2:20; 2 Corinthians 5:14-15, 17; Ephesians 4:22-32)
- Lifestyle Choices consistent with being a Disciple of Christ (1 Peter 1:14-16; 2:9-12)
- Devoted to Prayer (Romans 12:10-12; Colossians 4:2)
- Commitment to Share Their Faith (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Local Church Attendance (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- Willingness to Serve (Mark 10:45).
CMDA Statement of Faith
While each of us hold fast to additional beliefs important to our relationship with God, the following statement outlines the tenets that provide a foundation for our fellowship and participation in the Christian Medical & Dental Associations.
- In the divine inspiration and final authority of the Bible as the Word of God;
- In the eternal God revealed in Holy Scripture as Father, Son and Holy Spirit;
- In the unique Deity of Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, whose death and resurrection provide by grace through faith the only means of my salvation;
- In the transforming presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
CMDA Doctrinal Statement
While our meetings are open to everyone, membership in CMDA is open to those who agree with our Statement of Faith. In addition, CMDA leaders have the responsibility to support the doctrinal traditions of the organizations – doctrines common to most Christian faiths. While we all hold to other particular beliefs as taught in our various denominations, when representing CMDA, I agree to support these doctrinal tenets:
- We believe the Bible to be the authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His present rule as Head of the Church and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that salvation is based on the sacrifice of Christ and regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences.
CMDA educates, encourages, and equips Christian healthcare professionals to glorify God.
Christian healthcare professionals glorify God by following Christ, serving with excellence and compassion, caring for all people, and advancing Biblical principles of healthcare within the Church and throughout the world.
Spiritual Leader Commitments
These Spiritual Commitments apply to all student leaders within CMDA. Each leader fulfills a critical role in achieving our mission of “educating, encouraging and equipping Christian healthcare professionals to glorify God.” With these leadership opportunities come the responsibility to set an example in the way we lead our lives – conscious of behaviors and attitudes that may cause others to stumble – seeking, rather, to model the life of Christ. To that end, the following list establishes our individual commitment to strive for a high standard of personal conduct as we represent Christ and CMDA. More important than the specific standards we may describe, our conduct should be constrained by our deep love of God and the ones He allows us to serve.
- Statement of Faith, Doctrinal Statement, Mission– Leaders must be active members in good standing within CMDA and agree with the CMDA Statement of Faith, Doctrinal Statement, and Mission Statement.
- Integrity – Each CMDA leader is expected to demonstrate honesty and high ethical standards in all ministry, business, and personal dealings.
- Living Above Reproach - CMDA leaders should live every day aware that their personal choices will influence the people who consider them to be leaders, both Christians and non-Christians. Therefore, CMDA leaders should always exercise discernment and cultural sensitivity. For some examples, look at I Timothy 3.
- CMDA Position Statements – CMDA has many resources to support our student leaders, including our bioethical position statements < https://cmda.org/policy-issues-home/position-statements/> that are both medically and biblically faithful. CMDA student leaders are hopefully in agreement with the CMDA position statements but are free to disagree with them.
- Involvement in Political Activities – Tax laws applicable to non-profit organizations require that there be no direct or indirect endorsement of political candidates or campaigning when representing CMDA.
- Harassment – CMDA is committed to maintaining an environment in which all individuals treat others with dignity and respect, and which is free from all forms of intimidation, exploitation and harassment.
- Sexual Purity – CMDA leaders are expected to enjoy sexual intimacy only within the bond of marriage between one man and one woman. Unmarried leaders should lead pure and celibate lives.
Although Christians may disagree over personal choices and Biblical interpretation, CMDA retains the prerogative to ask leaders to step down if CMDA feels their conduct may reflect adversely on CMDA and the person of Christ.
CMDA NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP
CMDA leaders are required to be current members of the national organization. Student memberships are subsidized by graduate members, so membership is no cost for students!