Minority Short-Term Mission Scholarship
Non-white healthcare providers are significantly under-represented in the healthcare missionary workforce. The reasons for this are complex, but a contributing factor may be that some students and residents of color come from backgrounds and churches that don’t provide them with the same financial resources that their average white counterparts have access to. This scholarship provides larger awards than some of our other existing mission scholarships to non-white students, residents, or fellows participating in an overseas mission rotation. Junior or senior pre-med or pre-dental undergraduate students may also apply.
You must be:
- A CMDA member
- Non-white medical and dental students, residents, and fellows.
- Pre-med or pre-dental juniors or seniors are also eligible ($2,000 maximum award for undergraduate students; undergraduate students are not required to be CMDA members)
- Rotation length of at least 4 full work weeks.
- Demonstrate financial need to enable project participation.
- Priority is given to applicants open to/ interested in longer term mission service in the future
Application deadlines are April 1, August 1 and December 1. Your application must be submitted by the deadline prior to your trip.
Awards will be announced by email one month after each deadline. The amount of the grant is for transportation and project-related expenses.
- Up to $2,000 for medical or dental students, residents, or fellows whose rotation will last between 4 and 6 weeks, or up to $3,500 for rotations lasting over 6 weeks.
- Up to $2,000 for undergraduate students for rotations lasting at least 4 weeks.
Funds must be used for participation in a missionary medical preceptorship, clerkship or similar experience of four weeks or more in duration arranged by the recipient for completion within twelve months from the date of award. Funds must be applied to fees related to the rotation/ clerkship, such as room, board, and travel.
Recipients are required to submit a 1-2 page typewritten report to CMDA within 30 days after completion of the overseas experience, including photographs if possible. The report should contain the following:
- One memorable patient story and outcome
- One spiritual insight gleaned along the way
- One breakthrough in regard to language, culture, local life
- One takeaway for your life moving forward
Due to limited funding, this program is not intended to duplicate other award programs where funding has been given. You may apply for multiple CMDA scholarships for your trip. If you qualify and are selected for more than one, the scholarship of greatest value will be awarded. Where partial funding has been provided from other sources, our award would be limited to the amount necessary to meet (but not exceed) full travel and project-related expenses. If full funding has been provided by other organizations, churches, mission board or foundation awards, applicants are requested to notify the Christian Medical & Dental Associations immediately, withdrawing their application in order that other applicants may be funded.
For questions, please contact Administrative Assistant-Volunteer for Center for Advancing Healthcare Missions.
Contact the Administrative Assistant/Volunteer for the Center for Advancing Healthcare Missions:
Before an application will be considered, a letter of recommendation from the applicant's pastor or CMDA staff member must be submitted. The letter should highlight the applicant's spiritual maturity and involvement in ministry. The reference is an attempt to do a 360-degree look at you from those who have good knowledge of your calling, spiritual commitment, passion for evangelism and your ability to work in an overseas missionary context. For undergraduate students, an additional letter of recommendation is required from their pre-med or pre-dental advisor. This letter should attest to the fact that the applicant is a strong candidate for medical or dental school. The letter (or letters) of reference should be sent to the Administrative Assistant/Volunteer for the Center for Advancing Healthcare Missions using the form on this page.